Sonnet 120 That you were once unkind befriends me now 十二言
That you were once unkind befriends me now,
你曾經不友善,現在結為好友,
And for that sorrow, which I then did feel,
我當時也為這事感覺到歉意,
Needs must I under my transgression bow,
我必須鞠躬謝罪,承認我愧疚,
Unless my nerves were brass or hammer'd steel.
除非我的神經如銅鐵般麻痺。
For if you were by my unkindness shaken,
因為如果你曾被我無情震撼,
As I by yours, you've pass'd a hell of time;
如同我受你那地獄般的時光;
And I, a tyrant, have no leisure taken
而我,一個暴君,沒有餘閒估量,
To weigh how once I suffere'd in your crime.
曾經在你罪行下受到的創傷。
O! that our night of woe might have remember'd
哦!我們可能記得那夜之悲哀,
My deepest sense, how hard true sorrow hits,
我內心深處,受到了激烈傷害,
And soon to you, as you to me, then tender'd
我立刻對你,如同你對我,遞陳
The humble salve, which wounded bosoms fits!!
謙卑之懺悔,治癒了受傷之心!!
But that your trespass now becomes a fee;
只是你的罪行,現在變成贖金(費用);
Mine ransoms yours, and yours must ransom me.
我贖了你的罪,你必會贖償我。
第十一句,我立刻對你,如同你對我遞出謙卑之懺悔,
而治癒了受傷之心!
第十四句,我已繳費償了你的過犯,你必同樣繳費贖償我。