Sonnet 144 Two loves I have, of comfort and despair安慰和絕望 C.Y.Kung 貢中元譯
末押韻 附 梁宗岱译文:
Two loves I have, of comfort and despair,
我有兩個愛人,安慰和絕望,
Which like two spirits do suggest me still:
像兩個精靈,不斷的慫恿我:
The better angel is a man right fair;
好天使是個男性正直善良;
The worser spirit a woman coloured ill.
壞精靈則是女人善變邪惡。
To win me soon to hell my female evil
那邪靈欲唆使我速下地府,
Tempteth my better angel from my side,
想誘使好天使離開我身側,
And would corrupt my saint to be a devil,
用卑鄙虛榮,誘拐他的純樸,
Wooing his purity with her foul pride.
腐蝕了我聖潔,變成了毒惡,
And whether that my angel be turned fiend,
我曾經懷疑,卻還不能確定
Suspect I may, yet not directly tell,
是否我的天使己變成惡靈,
But being both from me, both to each friend,
但二者互成朋友,離開了我,
I guess one angel in another's hell.
我猜好天使己入地獄墮落。
Yet this shall I ne'er know, but live in doubt,
我只是猜疑,對此永遠不明,
Till my bad angel fire my good one out.
一直到那邪靈攆走了善靈。
第七句, 他想腐蝕我的聖徒,變成一個魔鬼,第七句、第八句對調。
梁宗岱译文:
两个爱人像精灵般把我诱惑,
一个叫安慰,另外一个叫绝望:
善的天使是个男子,丰姿绰约;
恶的幽灵是个女人,其貌不扬。
为了促使我早进地狱,那女鬼
引诱我的善精灵硬把我抛开,
还要把他迷惑,使沦落为妖魅,
用肮脏的骄傲追求纯洁的爱。
我的天使是否已变成了恶魔,
我无法一下子确定,只能猜疑;
但两个都把我扔下,互相结合,
一个想必进了另一个的地狱。
可是这一点我永远无法猜透,
除非是恶的天使把善的撵走。