Sonnet 51 Towards thee I'll run, and give him leave to go 接第50 首,任其自行,十三言
Can my love excuse the slow offence,
我的愛,是否能原諒我負重之馬,
Of my dull bearer, when from thee I speed,
當我想加速離去,他卻抗命慢行,
From where thou art, why should I haste me thence?
為什麼從你那兒,我要盡快離開,
Till I return of posting is no need. 反而回到你那,
卻不需策馬快行?
what excuse will my poor beast then find,
還能找到什麼原諒笨馬的藉口?
When swift extremity can seem but slow?
當極速移動時,感覺上卻是很慢,
Then should I spur though mounted on the wind,
於是我剌它,雖然己像駕風急乘,
In winged speed no motion shall I know,
飛快的速度下,我仍覺得沒動靜,
Then can no horse with my desire keep pace,
我渴望著以他火馬之速奔向你,
Therefore desire (of perfect'st love being made),
(非血肉慢速)做一個最完美的愛。
Shall neigh (no dull flesh) in his fiery race;
於是沒有馬可以跟上我的願望;
But love, for love, thus shall excuse my jade,
只有愛,為愛之故,應原諒我寶貝,
Since from thee going, he went wilful-slow,
因為上次離開你時,他故意慢行,
Towards thee I'll run, and give him leave to go.
此番,我用跑的找你,而任其自行。
此詩說理性太強,前四句已把問題重點提出,要求解釋矛盾不合理之處,後面五到十四句,都在解釋第一句的是否能原
諒馬,為什麼加速離去,為什麼抗命慢行,回來時反而沒快馬加鞭?在sonnet 51 裡,Horse 馬與 Jade 寶貝都與男性
的東西有關,give him leave to go, him就是笨馬,也是寶貝,leave to go 放手讓其欲為。第十一句Therefore desire (of
perfect'st love being made),所以渴望以他火馬之速(非血肉之馬速),親近你。翻譯時將九、十、十一句合在一起,
整合後譯出。
第十四句,Towards thee I'll run, and give him leave to go. 我用跑的回你身邊,不管那匹馬。