Sonnet 83 I never saw that you did painting need, (aaaabbccddbbaa)
I never saw that you did painting need,
我從沒見到你需要塗(圖)得好評,
And therefore to your fair no painting set;
所以沒作畫集描繪你的美韻;
I found, or thought I found, you did exceed
我發覺,或以為發覺,你遠駕凌
The barren tender of a poet's debt:
詩人因欠人情寫的淺嫩詩品:
And therefore have I slept in your report,
因此我失職,沒能報導你特點,
That you yourself, being extant, well might show
你那活生生的自己,更易突顯
How far a modern quill doth come too short,
現代窮筆不足以描述的價值,
Speaking of worth, what worth in you doth grow.
說到價值,什麼才是你的價值。
This silence for my sin you did impute,
你曾責備我的沉默是個罪惡,
Which shall be most my glory being dumb;
然而,我最自豪的是保持緘默;
For I impair not beauty being mute,
因我不語,而未損壞你的美麗,
When others would give life, and bring a tomb.
當別人想給你生命,卻毀了你。
There lives more life in one of your fair eyes
你一隻美麗的眼睛比二個詩人
Than both your poets can in praise devise.
曲意的讚美,更能活出你生命。
Than both your poets can in praise devise.
比你的二個詩人所(曲意)設計的讚美更能。
7